USS Towers (DDG-9) was a Charles F. Adams-class guided missile
destroyer of the United States Navy notable for action in the
Vietnam War. The ship was named in honor of Admiral John Henry
Towers keel was laid down on 1 April 1958 at Seattle, Washington, by
the Todd Pacific Shipyards; launched on 23 April 1959; sponsored by
Mrs. Nathaniel Rotoreau, Jr.; and commissioned on 6 June 1961 at the
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington, Comdr. L. D.
Cummins in command.