1892: RS Langesund, Norway's first
redningssk°yte commissioned by: "Langesund circle of the Norwegian
Society for Skibrudnes Rescue ". Building cost: Kr. 2500, of which Kr.
1200, was allocated to operations.
1892 - 1893: Built by Porsgrund boatbuilders, Knardal Beach,
Porsgrunn, launched 31. January 1893
1893 - 1913: NSSR service in Langesund. The first Norwegian rescue
smack skipper was Ole Andreas Jensen. The boat with the crew rescued
102 people, 39 vessels and 3 ships and assisted 29 ships. Towed in
3536 boats and 3 ships (highest number of all NSSR's smacks).
1937 - 1945: Private ownership.
1945: Extended and converted to fishing vessel. A 40 hp. Union pitch
propeller and engine were mounted. Name changed to "MS Flinken".
1989 - 1992 : rebuilt after surveying the original building
description and Colin Archer's drawings.
2004: Grenland Group Langesund buy "RS2 Langesund".
Built by: Porsgrund boat builders.
Designed by: Colin Archer.
Deck length: 13.5m (approx 45feet)
Length at waterline: 12m
Displacement: 35 tonn
Motor: John Deere 140hp
Main sail: 58 m2
Top sail: 16 m2
Total sail area: 129 m2