SS Arthur M. Huddel, IMO: 5025706, is a Liberty ship built by St.
Johns River Shipbuilding Company with keel laid 25 October 1943 and
the yard workers working overtime to launch on 7 December 1943 and
complete outfitting nine days later.
In 2008 she was transferred to Greece for conversion to a maritime
museum and was renamed Hellas Liberty. On December 6, 2008 she left
Norfolk, Virginia under tow for Piraeus harbour in January 2009.
General repairs and conversions took place at Perama and Salamis
during 2009 and 2010, including installation of a new rudder and
propeller. The rudder was fabricated new in Greece, but the
propeller was donated by the US government to the Greek government.
The propeller was a spare Victory Ship Propeller which is the same
diameter of 18 feet, same on the Liberty ship. The difference is
that the Liberty was 2500 HP and the Victory was approx 7500 HP.
They had a different pitch, but as not turning, it doesn't make a
difference. In June 2010 she was presented to the public in her
restored form in Piraeus harbor.