Bluenose was launched in Lunenberg on March 26, 1921. It was
built in the Smith and Rhuland Shipyard to compete for the
International Fisherman’s Trophy. In October 1921, the
Bluenose beat a ship named Elsie and for the next 17 years,
it defeated all contenders.
In 1928, the
Bluenose defeated the Thebaud in the final race series and
was named Queen of the North Atlantic fishing fleet. The
Bluenose had become the pride of Nova Scotians, and in 1937,
the Canadian dime was changed to include an image of the
In 1942, despite
the efforts of Bluenose Master, Captain Angus J. Walters and
others to keep the ship in Nova Scotia, the vessel was sold
to the West Indian Trading Company. For four years it
carried freight in the Caribbean. On January 28, 1946, the
Bluenose struck a Haitian reef and sank.
In 1963, the
Bluenose II was built from identical plans as the Bluenose.
It was built in the same shipyard of Smith and Rhuland and
by some of the same men. Bluenose II is operated by the
Lunenburg Marine Museum Society on behalf of the Province of