in Camden in 1907 for the US Lighthouse Service, the Ambrose
first took her station off the coast of Sandy Hook in 1908
and maintained her position marking the entrance to New York
harbor until 1932 when she was replaced by a newer vessel.
Shifting between Relief Station and Scotland Station off the
coast of New Jersey and Vineyard Sound off Massachusetts for
the next 34 years, the Ambrose served the Lighthouse Service
and the US Coast Guard for a total 59 years before she was
deactivated on March 4th, 1966.
The venerable lightship was formally donated to the South
Street Seaport Museum in 1968 and was deemed a National
Historic Landmark in 1989 and is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places. The South Street Seaport Museum
announced on her 100th birthday in 2007 that the Ambrose
would receive an extensive overhaul and further restoration
to keep her floating and in excellent condition as a museum